Monday, January 25, 2016

One Month Old!!!!






Haven't introduced Waverly's Chinese name yet. So here we go. Her name is 劉安芮 (An Rei Liu) If you remember, Nathan's name is An Yu Liu, but we put the surname before the name. Nathan doesn't say I often, he says Liu An Yu to mean "I", lol, that shows you how much he likes the name.  A lot of times we use the same character in children's name because they're siblings and it's actually really cute. So the older brother is An Yu, the sister is An Rei. She was born in the year of sheep, and sheep needs grass so I chose a character that has grass in it.

Most people go to a fortune teller to get a name for their baby but I don't like that because they end up having similar names. We don't repeat names like Americans do so I found it super strange to have someone having the same name. For example, it's very bizarre for me to know there might be two or three girls named Jenny in one class. Chinese names are very personal and unique. It's rare to see two people having the same name. However, my best friend has the same name and sure name, but different character, which means the two names sound the same, but read differently. It's very rare so we were quite well-known in our school cuz it's just too rare, not to mention we were in the same class and later became best friends!!!!

As for Waverly, it's from a movie Joy Luck Club, a story about Chinese people emigrating from China to the U.S, and their relationship with their Chinese-American children.  It's one of my favoriate movie. In college, a professor assigned us to read the book and later we watched the movie. Many years later, Jonathan and I watched it on TV and we both liked the name and wanted to name our future daughter Waverly.

Waverly means "meadow of quivering aspens", which coincidentally corresponds with her Chinese name. So far, people like the name and think it's unique. Some people say it's a strange name and I think they are just impolite and rude. I wanted to ask them to define "strange". Saying a newborn baby's name is strange doesn't make you strange? I don't care whether they like it or not, she's my daughter not theirs, right?

Nathan has been really sweet to his sister! He's doing so well, much much better than we expected.  He would comfort her when she cries or put blanket on her, give her toys, give her the pacifier...etc. One time we found a baby hat on Waverly's head. Jonathan asked if I put it on, and I said "No, I thought you did". Jonathan didn't either. And I could tell it was Nathan because it wasn't put on properly. He must thought she needed the hat! He helps with the diaper throwing too! He's a great helper! When he comes home from outside, the first thing he does is open the bedroom door and see his sister. He says "baby sister sleeping" when he sees her sleeping but sometimes he gets too excited and starts jumping and wakes his sister up. 

It's bitter sweet to see Nathan being a big brother. To me, he's still my little baby. 

I'm an extremely lucky person, given that I survived a major brain surgery and met so many wonderful people who helped me when I needed help not to mention I now have a son and a daughter. Although my parents passed away but I still have my sister, who still takes care of me like she used to when I was young. Sisters do argue and misunderstand each other but when everything is cleared up, nothing can stop her from protecting me.  If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have had a good first night at the hospital. With her there, I felt the most safe and secure. She also bought tons of baby stuff for Waverly, which touched me because she's so busy!

Of course, thank you all, family in the U.S, for your love and support. 

I don't want to turn this entry into a book so I need to stop. 

Ciao! 

Whose foot?????!!!!!!????!!!!!!
Meimei (littler sister) is not having it...





No comments:

Post a Comment